This is a lovely light cake, which is a perfect afternoon treat. You can make it gluten or wheat free by substituting in doves farm gluten free self raising flour for the standard flour. You can also make it dairy free by using pure spread instead of the butter.
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 oranges
- And another 120g caster sugar for the drizzle
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees fan (or a little higher if it’s not a fan oven).
- Line and grease a loaf tin with some baking paper and butter. (If you don’t have a loaf tin, any cake tin will work, it just won’t be a loaf cake and you might need to adjust the cooking time).
- Cream together the butter and sugar using a stand mixer, or a hand electric mixer, until it is pale.
- Grate the zest of the oranges and add to your creamed mixture.
- Add the flour and eggs to the mixture and beat until just combined.
- Put your mixture into your prepared tin and pop into the oven for 40 minutes.
- The cake is ready to come out when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, juice the 2 oranges and stir the 120g of caster sugar into the juice.
- As soon as you have taken your cake out of the oven, use a cocktail stick to make lots of little holes in the cake. Then pour all of your drizzle over the cake slowly. It will feel like too much liquid, but keep going, it will soak into the cake and make it taste amazing!!
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool for as long as you can manage to wait for!
- Sift over some icing sugar and cut into slices to serve.